Friday, March 30, 2018

March updates: 1/3 of the year is finished! How did we do

So.... we are one third of the way through the year.

You may recall that this year we are focused on getting out of a tremendous amount of debt. We've had our ups and downs but here is the breakdown so far:

Paid off January: 1474
Paid off February: $2773
Paid off March: $2619

For a total of $6866 Paid off in 2018!

We are pretty proud of that figure and hope to keep up the momentum. This we did in March to help with the budget

1. Skipped spring school pictures: I normally buy pictures for each of the kids but to be honest they just go in a box in the closet. I put a few out to display- but figured I could skip these this one time. ( saving $60 along the way)

2. No clothes were purchased for myself, husband or the kids. Again- I do not think this is sustainable as the kids are growing but this past month we did not purchase anything!

3. We ate out just once the whole month!! We went on a small camping trip locally for Spring Break and there is a Steak and Shake close to where we camp and the kids love to eat there. We spent $24.xx for the 5 of us and enjoyed it. Eating out just once this month was a huge accomplishment for us.

4. Free entertainment by playing outside a lot, going to a park about 15 minutes away a few afternoons, playing cards at my parents house, participating in Free 4H activities etc. We had a full March and we all had fun.

5. I earned $183 from a local children's consignment sale called Rhea Lana's that happens in our area twice a year. It took some work to tag and enter all the items in- but I enjoyed the pay day! All that money went strait to our next debt.

6. I just listed a book on ebay. It's a text book I used last semester for school- so hopefully I'll sell that. It's listed at $43.xx.

Our original goal was to pay off $25,000 in debt this year, but it looks like we might even make $30,000!!!!

How are you guys doing? Having a nice frugal Spring?

2 comments:

  1. That is so great. You are doing so well. It is hard but worth it when you see the totals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! But you are right that seeing the totals go down and getting a few smaller things feels good. I had a small 401k loan- paid off! Now I don't have to worry about that ever again. Once you get over the initial hump I feel like you gain momentum.

      Delete