Sunday, March 4, 2018

February Update: drum roll please

You may remember that on December 31 2017 ( might as well say January 1st, 2018 I guess) we tipped the scales at a whopping $152,852 worth of consumer debt. Read about that here.  However we started utilizing a budget, really keeping an eye on finances and we paid off a total of :

$1474 in debt in January - you can read about some of the ways we did that here in my (January recap post)

So how much did we pay off in February?????

$2773!!!!


That brings our grand total of debt that we have paid off in 2018 to $4247.

$4247 paid off in 2018

So, I wish I could say that the February pay off was $2773 was something we could do every single month. Alas, it is not and we received some tax return money back that went straight towards debt reduction.That is not something we will get every single month.

We received a total of $1678 back from our federal taxes. $563 of that went towards a plane ticket to fly to Texas where I have to take my qualifying exams for my PhD program. The good news is that 1) we paid cash for the ticket and #2) I am one step closer to finishing my doctorate ( well if I pass that is).

The other $1115 left went strait to debt. The good thing about that is that 1) in the past we probably would have spent that money on this or that and just kind of frittered it away- without a plan, and 2) we are $1115 closer to being debt free!!

So we just keep on trucking. It's nice to get some traction under us. We paid off one 401k loan in February so that freed up $21.08 that is now going towards our next debt. It's nice to get a letter in the mail that says PAID IN FULL.

How are you guys doing on your financial journey? Your homesteading journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment