Thursday, July 14, 2016

Going out to eat: What does it really cost??

I think we all can pretty much agree that eating out is expensive! Normally it's not a very good choice as for as our health either. As a Registered Dietitian I have clients come to see me to discuss weight loss or healthful eating habits and they tell me that eating out is so much cheaper and easier than cooking. WRONG. 
First of all, let me just say I get it. I have three kids, am married and both my husband and I work outside of the home ( me for 9 months, him all year) so I understand the need to manage time. Even more than that though I. am. cheap frugal. For our family of 5 to go out to eat at a fast food restaurant like Wendy's or McDonald's it is going to cost us between $26-$30. ( I looked up menu prices online). 

Today, after the kids dentist appointments I made a quick stop at Kroger to pick up a few things. My total was $36.83. That got me thinking about how in just one meal, my family could spend that on fast food. If we went to a "nicer" place to eat it could easily be $45-$50 including tip.

So what did I get today at Kroger for only $36.xx. See below!

WOWZERS!!!



 So for protein there is the Dark Silk Almond Milk ( it's so delicious), some Stonyfield plain Yogurt and some Swiss cheese discounted from the deli. It's a yummy spreadable type I'll use on veggies and stuff. 

 And the fruit, oh the fruit. That's right guys I got the above fruits and veggies. It includes 2 quarts of strawberries, 7 granny smith apples, 7 red delicious apples, 7 peaches and a bunch of organic carrots. 

 Then for treats I got a big bag of trail mix, some dried pineapple and a bag of granola. We also got about $3.xx worth of chocolate covered almonds we shared in the car on the way home. 

Now I understand that there are things in my pantry that will help make the above foods into meals, but just think, would you rather your family have a greasy burger and stale fries and a soda, or have ALL of the above food. That will last me and kids for snacks for a while, and the yogurt and granola and fruit will serve it's purpose for  breakfasts and side items. The carrots I'll chop and eat with the cheese . 

Hey guys, if you are worried about your health, your finances (or both) then just grab a shopping bag.

Happy Homesteading! 



P.S. I used cute little reusable produce bags for the fruits and veggies and the dried pineapple, in an effort to reduce waste. I have more I didn't have with me, so next time I'll be sure to bring them ALL so I can reduce our waste even more. I got them here. 

2 comments:

  1. It really is less expensive to shop at the grocery store than eat out! Thanks for linking up at Welcome Home Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete