Sunday, March 25, 2018

I need your help- Rhubarb issues- any thoughts?

Well not issues really- but Rhubarb is out of my wheel house and not super common around here. I'm not sure what to do with this. I planted a small pot of it last spring. I didn't harvest it last fall, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

As you can see it's very bright and green and growing!

What's going on top here? 

On the top right you can see the "original" stalk, the center left are some of the newer smaller stalks. 

So should I transplant into a garden bed? Into a bigger container? Will it spread if I leave it here? Any tips or advice on what to do? I would love to harvest some rhubarb this fall for some pies, jam and jellies!

2 comments:

  1. Rhubarb is amazing and very prolific! The little flower head on the second picture you need to pinch off to give energy to the main plant. If you have a place that you want to permanently plant it go right ahead and put it in the ground. They are heavy feeders so need to be fertilized every year. I would say you could enjoy rhubarb this year...just make sure not to pick all the stalks at once. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will pinch off the flower head. I wondered if I should keep that or not. I am excited about the prospect of rhubarb and need to try to think of a good place I can transplant it permanently.

      Delete