Sunday, March 11, 2018

What I've been reading lately

Around here it's been pretty rainy, cold and otherwise yucky outside so I've been inside quite a bit.
I am in my last semester of coursework for my PhD- so I've been studying for my qualifying exams as well as working on my dissertation in my "spare" time, but I still do like to read for pleasure when I can.

I wrote about my 2018 Reading Goal and am on par to read my 50 books this year.

Book #6 was Braving the Wilderness by BrenĂ© Brown

I enjoyed the style of the book, the writer herself was good. It was an easy read. I'm not sure that I totally understood or perhaps buy into some of the content, but it was worth a read. One of the things I'm working on is just learning how to communicate better, be a better leader at work etc. I felt like this gave me some good perspectives to think about for sure. I would recommend this book.

Book #7 was QBQ! The Question Behind the Question by John G. Miller
This book has been around for a while and is on a lot of lists of "must reads" for managers, leaders, etc. Again- since I'm responsible for about 11 other faculty at my current job- I am trying super hard to learn how to best lead. This was a very fast read. Like probably 2 hours and you are through. It was light and had some good points. Would recommend if you are in a leadership position and want to learn to communicate better.

Book #8 was Christmas at Carnton (Carnton, #0.5)
I could read Christmas novels at any time of the year and when my library gets a new one in I tend to scoop it up. This had a lot of my favorite components; historical, Christmas and just a nice feel good story. There were of course some sad parts ( Civil War time period) but overall was a very nice book. I found it nice to cozy up with and would recommend.


Have you guys read anything good lately? What have you been eyeing at the library to read next?

3 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to read something by Brene Brown, and have decided that if it's going to happen, it's going to have to be an audio book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see her being great on audio book. I feel like some of the humor in the book would come through better that way :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing these great reads over at #WoW Words on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete