Monday, January 31, 2011

The future of our food.....

"He who controls the seeds, controls the food."

I ran across this DVD at the library ( YAY library) this past weekend and I stayed up watching it with my husband last night. It's pretty crazy scary. Here is the link for you to watch it onlie for free! Watch The Future of Our Food .

Just from my own research and the field of work that I am in , I have learned some about ag history, seed saving, corporate greed in relation to seeds, genetically modified seeds etc. But this documentary really sheds some eerie light on all of the above.

I think one of the things that is most scary to me is the fact that corporations, Monsanto being the biggest one, actually claims patents on types of seeds. These seeds now actually belong to them and in many cases you have to have liscenses in order to actually possess these seeds. In the late 1990's they actually sued farmers who they alleged were using these seeds without proper liscenses. The film talks about that in great length.

Another scary factor of the movie revolves around GMO crops and how they are actually modified. The scientific ways that these tiny little peices of DNA are woven into a cell of one seed is pretty amazing. It is a scientific wonder for sure, however my concern is with the modifications that are not natural and in my opinion are not healthy.

So if you have a chance please check this out, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment