Monday, December 10, 2012

Trip to the Flea Market this weekend

Even though it is approaching Mid December, it was still beautiful weather this weekend, ( and my daughter's birthday) and she wanted nothing more than to go the the "Flea Market". This is an outdoor event a few towns over that has a huge livestock auction, vendors selling homeade food ( AKA the BEST homeade tamales you will ever eat), play things for the kids and of course tons and tons of vendors, everything from the junkiest of junk to very nice, hand made quality goods. There are also a ton of animals for sell, which the kids love to look at and pet.

It is a great time I must admit.

The first good deal I got was a book I have been wanting for a while that just popped out at me, from a pile of all kinds of books.
It was a whopping $3, but I asked him if he would take $2 and he said yes. I will review this book later I'm sure but I have already read a lot of it, and it's super fun.

I found a vendor that had random boxes of things like toothpaste, floss and deodorant, and then there was a box of flower seeds. You know the little packets with things like Marigolds, Dahlias and such? I asked how much and was returned with a " $1 a handful" and he gave me a plastic sack. I got a handful of seeds ( which don't expire until 2013). When we got home the girls and I counted them and ended up with 40 packs of various flower seeds, 4 packs of pumpkin seeds and 3 packs of Kentucky Wonder Pole beans . If you recall my middle child is my flower child and so enjoys her flowers. This will be fun for her to plant this spring.

The last thing I got was a beautiful set of 6 salad plates. They are so pretty. Each one has a different chicken scene on it. I saw them and remarked how lovely they were so my mother bought them for me for Christmas.  $5 for 6 HIGH QUALITY, BEAUTIFUL salad plates. She has them in her posession and will wrap them for me for Christmas. I'll try to remember to post a picture of them when I get them.

It was a great day. We were outside, we were with family, we had good food, good fellowship and my kids learned that you don't have to go into a mass box store to get good deals.

Until Next time...
Happy Homesteading!


Linked up to Artful Tuesdays

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! That sounds like a wonderful family experience! And, you got some awesome deals too! Love the seeds deal! Don't forget to show us your plates, when you unwrap them! There's just something about the atmosphere at flea markets! Makes me want to go to one soon! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember to take a picture of the plates. I love getting fun little things like that for Christmas, instead of something that will sit in my closet unused. Thanks mom ;)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the perfect way to spend time with family.
    The bread on your header looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Daisy! I normally make a loaf of bread ( Italian Herb bread) at least once per week. My husband likes it for sandwiches and toast.

      Delete
  3. I love that she asked to go to the Flea Market on her birthday! We have great memories of going to them as children. There are none around here (that we know of) but we enjoy taking our children to the farmers market in the warmer months. :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete