Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Book Review- We Had Everything But Money

I purchased this book " We Had Everything But Money" at a flea market recently for $2! I have been kind of seeing it here and there and always forgot to look for it at the library, so I was happy to find it.

Priceless Memories of the Great Depression.
They are indeed priceless. There are numerous stories of inspiration, dedication, community and love in this book. It is a collection of different stories, rememberences, recipes etc. of the Depression Era. The stories are a light read, and you can read several stories at a time.

The Pictures.
Oh my there are amazing pictures in this book. I shared some with the girls, pictures of feed sack dresses, little ones peddling apples, just amazing pictures of our nation's history. I would say this would make a great coffee table type book ( if you are into that sort of thing).

Bottom line.
I liked it. It is well worth $2 :). It wold be worth more than that though. I could see it being used as part of homeschool unit about the Great Depression. It could really be inspirational to be happy with what you've got, and it teaches about the human spirit.

Until next time...
Happy Homesteading...

Linked up with Monday Barn Hop

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! Thanks for the review! Sounds like a very interesting read, one that takes you back in time! I like those! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look for that at the library. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I found this book at the library recently and read it. It was very interesting. I am now reading "Dorothy's World, Childhood in Sabine Bottom, 1902-1910". This is a book of what the author, Dorothy Howard, remembers of her childhood in Texas. I love these old stories! The librarian at our church library told me that she is glad that someone is finally checking out these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'll have to check out the above mentioned book. I find such joy in reading and love to find new books that I wouldn't have known about if not for my "blogging friends"!!

      Delete
  4. I bought this book years ago at a yard sale. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had this book for years and have enjoyed reading it many times. Last year I read it out loud to my kids and they loved it.

    ReplyDelete