Monday, December 27, 2010

My January Menu

My January Budget for 4 people ( 2 grown ups, a 5 year old and a 3 year old ) is.......
$275
I'm hoping that posting my menu and such will help me stay accountable and within budget....

So as promised here is my January meal plan. Just a few notes,
1) our chickens are still laying, so we get our eggs there
2) I make our own bread and snacky things such as cookies, muffins, pretzels etc. There are also a few things not on my list such as yogurt, that I buy for snacks.

So I think the easiest way to do it is to list how many breakfasts we need ( weekends) and how many lunches we need ( weekends only , and my husband and I will bring either leftovers or homeade soup to work) and then of course dinners which is the bulk of it.

Breakfasts
1. cereal or oatmeal
2.cereal or oatmeal
3. cinnamon buns
4. cinamon buns
5.Scrambled ( or fried for hubby) eggs, toast
6. pancakes
7. waffles
8. pancakes
9. French toast
On mornings that I work I typically grab a peice of fruit, or do a bowl of oatmeal. I make hubby scrambled egg sandwiches.

Lunches
1. Spinach Artichoke lasagna
2. leftovers
3. sandwich, chips, salsa
4. Soup
5. Soup
6. Homeade Pizza
7. Noodles of some sort
8. Veggie Heaven ( normally consists of 3-4 veggies, canned, fresh or frozen from our garden)
9. Veggie Heaven ( normally consists of 3-4 veggies, canned, fresh or frozen from our garden)

Dinners
1. Breakfast burritos, toast with jelly
2. stirfry with brown rice
3. tuna casserole
4. tuna casserole
5. Spaghetti ( will probably include deer meat to satisfy my hubby)
6. Pesto Pasta
7. Alfredo Pasta
8. Chili
9. Soup/ Grilled cheese
10. Leftovers
11. Leftovers
12. Non- breakfast burritos ( normally just beans and cheese, plus jalepenos and onions for me and hubby)
13. Quesadillas
14. Homeade pizza
15. Pb&J
16. Quesadillas
17. Tuna Casserole
18. Tuna Casserole
19. Pesto Pasta
20. Alfredo Pasta
21. Spaghetti
22. Tuna casserole
23. Tomato Tortellini Soup
24.Chili
25. Quesadillas
26. Alfredo Pasta
27. Veggie Heaven ( normally consists of 3-4 veggies, canned, fresh or frozen from our garden)
28. Veggie Heaven ( normally consists of 3-4 veggies, canned, fresh or frozen from our garden)
29. Veggie Heaven ( normally consists of 3-4 veggies, canned, fresh or frozen from our garden)
30.  Out to dinner ( husband got a NICE gift card for Christmas to a local restaraunt)
31.  Out to dinner ( husband got a NICE gift card for Christmas to a local restaraunt)



 Another few things to remember, I will have some sort of side dish with most things. For instance normally the quesadillas will be cheese for the girls, then hubby and I add jalepnos. Sides will be refried beans and mexican rice. Chili will include a homeade bread , pastas include at least one veggie, sometimes two and a bread.  These are not necessarily in order, just the overall month. I think we will have leftovers more than I allotted for, but just wanted to make sure I had enough stuff bought just in case.

This is just an experiment, I am anxious to see how it works.

2 comments:

  1. An FYI on steel cut oats - not only are they super healthy, but you can cook them in your crockpot overnight and wake up to wonderful oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i was introduced to steel cut oats about a year ago. They really are so much better tasting to me than the rolled oats. I've never cooked them in a crockpot though, I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete