Sunday, April 7, 2013

Updates from around the homestead

Well we are finally seeing a tiny bit of Spring around here. We didn't have a crazy snowy winter, but it just seemed to stay cold and rainy here for a lot longer than usual.

The cilantro is doing pretty well. It looks  a little discolored in this photo but I can almost taste the fresh salsa now....

The basil is just getting planted, last year I made and froze several batches of pesto. I hope to do more this year as it was so good.

Clifford is enjoying the nice weather as well. Goats are such playful little creatures. I love to watch them run and jump.

One of our very favorite spots during the spring- fall. We sit out here on the swing, you can see one garden plot behind us. It is in the shade of a giant oak and it's just so peaceful and serene.

 Before mentioned giant oak tree. It's huge. I don't really even know how to get a picture of it. I thought this was an interesting angle. It was taken close to twilight. Such a massive beautiful site.
Sugar snap peas. These puppies need to be staked soon with some kind of trellis, but are doing well for now. We love snap peas.

Rainbow swiss chard.....

Beautiful green onions. These are such a refreshing little treat with a salad .

Lettuce mix. Going to get some tasty salads from these little babies.
 
Below you will see two projects we have been working on. We are blessed to live in the country and have several ponds and streams on our property. This one is closest to the house and we have been clearing it so the kids can play in it. I have many fond memories of summers long ago playing in the creek, looking for crawdads, finding turtles and frogs, making dams, splashing and just enjoying it. We made a small dam ( below) and let the baby ducks get out in them. It was such fun.

Here is a little bit more of the creek, it snakes around to the right there at the back of the phone and has several semi deep hole s( like maybe thigh deep). We are excited about the opportunity for the kids to play in it now that it is cleaned up a bit.

 
Busy time of year around the homestead. Hope you all are doing well.
 
 
Linked up with Monday Homestead Barn Hop

5 comments:

  1. Wow Rachel! What great vegetables!They looks so delicious!

    Pretty land. I wish...I wish....I wish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful and peaceful your place looks! Thanks for sharing. I love the swing.

    TALU :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so long as Clifford stays out of the garden!! I'm with you - snap peas are one of my favorite snacks! :) [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that spot with the swing by the oak!

    Thanks for linking this up with the TALU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it is a busy time of year, yet your photographs looks so relaxing. TALU

    ReplyDelete