Saturday, January 27, 2018

Prepping Breakfast for the Week: Frugal Breakfast Burritos

A few things are going on here: 
1: we have so many eggs coming in that we can't keep up- I've made and frozen quiches ( recipe here) and we eat eggs of course fried, scrambled, hard boiled etc. But this is another good way to make a good use of them. 
2: we have gotten a few wild boars this year and processed them so we have yummy sausage
3: it's rainy and cold here so I thought it was a good day to make some of these burritos for the freezer
4: My husband loves these and takes a bag of these to work and then eats one each morning after he goes to the gym. Quick ,easy, protein, cheap and ensures he eats a good breakfast

So  I assembled the ingredients to make breakfast burritos. 
Eggs- from our own chickens
1 lb sausage- we harvested and processed ourselves
tortillas
canned jalapenos - from our garden last year
an onion
taco seasoning - ( it's in the clear container) I buy it in bulk from a local Amish store
cheese- from a local farm ( wish we could do our own cheese)

Let's chop that onion up ( I love my Ulu knife, by the way) 

Brown the sausage then add the onion and taco seasoning. 


Add the dozen eggs and start scrambling them together. 

Add the chopped jalapenos ( fresh are great here too, we just don't have any fresh ones right now). I use bell peppers when making for the kids. 

Shred some cheese to add to the top. 

Wrap that baby up- then roll in foil. 


And here we go. A nice batch of breakfast burritos to add to the freezer. We use a lot of our own ingredients, and also I buy super cheap tortillas- you could probably make them but I can get 10 for .99 cents at Kroger. I have calculated each one costs about .22 cents. 22 cents for breakfast is not bad!! I do write "breakfast" on these with a permanent marker on the foil, because I do make lunch ones as well and write "lunch" on those so we don't get confused!

What all are you guys cooking, prepping, baking and freezing this week? 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, I've never thought of freezing these things, but what a great idea. My crew loves breakfast burritos and they're just perfect for that tall, hungry teen that saunters into the house at odd times with an empty stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and such a time saver. Thanks for sharing at the To Grandma's House We Go DIY, Crafts, Recipes and More Link Party! Hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like to make those with chorizo sausage. - Margy

    ReplyDelete