Thursday, August 13, 2015

What's going on around the homestead?

It's HOT here. Like many days over 100 degrees, plus our humidity.

We still have some peppers. Not as many as we seem to normally do, but plenty.

Tomatoes are slowing down. I've put up quite a bit of pasta sauce, pizza sauce and salsa, but again, not as much as we seem to normally have. Lots of little guys still, but the bigger ones are dying.

Still getting squash. Plenty for a mess for supper, and some to share. I love squash. I just sautee it in a skillet with olive oil with a little onion. Look at those beautiful squash flowers.














Now to my pride and joy. My muscadines and grapes. These will be ready within the week.
We have the normal white ones, and then we have purple Concord Grapes, which are perfect for jelly. All of them are really great for jelly, and I try to put up as much as I can. It seems to be a little later this year coming on, and since I start back to work soon, I'll stay busy. But maybe I can get some in before school starts back.



 They are huge! And so sweet. They do have a seed in them, and the white ones skins are a bit tough, but the purple are just perfect.


The muscadines and grapes just do well for us. We live in Zone 7, and just look at these. So they are in a funny L shape. The right of the picture, then it stretches way back and goes across the entire back of the photo. We always have tons and tons. I put up jelly and juice, others buy them from us to make wine. We don't drink, but apparently nothing beats muscadine wine?

I'm wishing you all a happy harvest and hopefully you are staying cool!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! Your garden veggies sound like they have done well! I was later getting our garden in, so I'm in the middle of canning tomatoes. Sauce and salsa so far. Still plenty to come! I love muscadines! I pruned mine back too much, so I don't have any this year, bummer! If you lived closer, I'd definitely get some from you! Thanks for sharing your garden! Have a great school year and continue to write about the homestead! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I would certainly share if we were neighbors, I have several folks that come by and help me pick so they keep some for themselves. You'll be so glad you canned all those beautiful tomatoes here in a few months, nothing better than a bowl of homemade soup or pasta sauce dish on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous grapevine! How wonderful it must be to harvest your own grapes! Looks like things are making it through the heat. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a little cooler this weekend, so that'll make things tolerable I think.

      Delete