Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Books I recommend to be on your reading list for 2015 Part 1- Non Fiction

I love to read. I do. I find that it does take a little bit of effort to actually set aside the time ( you know 3 young kids, a hobby farm, a full time job, all that stuff) but it really helps me to stay calm and to grow when I read. I had a good year reading I would say and wanted to pass along some of the books I would recommend for my readers in the upcoming year. Some I have done a full review on here on my site, others I haven't. But here ya go for what it's worth:

1. The Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson
I did a full review on this book here, but it really got me thinking about how I keep my home. The things I spend my money on, the things I spend my space in my home on and my time on. I've found myself reading it over and over again.
 
 
2.  Folks this Ain't Normal by Joel Salatin
I know the picture is a bit fuzzy, but I think you get the hint. Just an easy read about our food system and the issues surrounding it. If you don't know much about Joel Salatin, he's a pretty cool guy and I would recommend any of his books.
 
3. The Tomato Festival Cookbook by Lawrence Davis Hollander
This is a cookbook that just has every possible way imaginable to use tomatoes in your cooking. There are super fancy ones to really common ones like Tomato Pie. We always have an abundance of tomatoes around here in the summer, and this helps me to use them up in creative ways.

4. The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life by Jennifer Worick
This isn't a super intense read, it's a very fun, light read that has a few projects that every good Prairie Girl should know how to do. Simple projects, some you probably already do. I just found it a fun read and have tried many of the projects she talks about.

5. Wild by Cheryl Stayed
This was a good one. It's written by a lady that took a hike by herself on the Pacific Coast Trail. She was at a critically low point in her life, and needed to get away and do some thinking. It's pretty good and apparently is now a motion picture starring Reese Witherspoon . Of course the book is always better than the movie.

6.  Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins
I love the books about hiking, walking, seeing America. This one, written by Peter Jenkins, even has a few old photographs in it, making it extra cool. Again, just a young guy, needing some direction and wants to see America. He goes through small towns, gets to know a little of the culture. Pretty awesome book.
 
7. Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert
This book is written by Elizabeth Gilbert who also wrote Eat, Pray, Love, but is about Eustace Conway, a modern day mountain man living in the mountains in North Carolina. He also is the subject of the TV Show Mountain Men. It's a neat story. It talks about him growing up, as he gets older and wants to see America, why he wants to live in the mountains etc. She does a good job telling his story.

Please notice that none of the books have links to purchase. I am not trying to get you to buy these books so I make a commission or anything like that. I just recommend them from my own experience and think you might enjoy them as well. Check your local library to save some cash of course. I love going to the library weekly to get new material to read, listen to, etc.

I hope to do another few lists of must reads for 2015 including Not to be forgotten "classics" and then of course Fiction books I have enjoyed.

Until then,
Happy Homesteading
 



 
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. The library has my order! I've read "Wild" and it was thrilling and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete