Monday, January 1, 2018

2018 Reading Challenge- Follow along or start your own

I do love to read. And reading is quite frugal  if you do it right. Doing it right for our family includes trips to the county library on a regular basis. Our library ( and probably yours) has a system of reserving books that are popular- so you will be next in line to get it when it is returned. Many times on a Wednesday or Thursday night the kids and I will log into our library account and reserve the books we want for our next trip. Sometimes if they are offered at another branch they will just send them over. Normally by Saturday as long as we aren't on the waiting list for a popular book we will have the books in hand when we go to the library . We just give them my card and they have a beautiful stack of books ready for us. Think about how much a pile of lovely books would cost at a bookstore!!


Anyways a site I like to use ( that's free of course) is Goodreads . You can connect with friends ( connect with me here to read my reviews of my books, see what I'm reading, view my 2018 Reading goals etc. There also is a place under " browse" where you can enter into giveaways of books you would like to read. I've done this often and last year  won between 10-12 books. Can't beat that!

This year I have set my goal to 50 books. I actually set it to 50 last year as well and although I feel like I did read that many books, I didn't keep track of them all. I think I ended up tracking only like 27 or so....


As you track what books you have read they give you recommendations on other books that are similar that you might like. I've found some neat books that way.

I'm currently finishing up a  book called " The Snow Globe" and it will be my first book read of 2018.

The temperature is 8 degrees right now, with a windchill of even colder, so what better day than to curl up in a blanket with a good book!

Happy Homesteading Y'all! What were your favorite books of 2017? What books are on your list for 2018?

4 comments:

  1. Wow... fifty! Thats amazing. I love to read but not more than one a month ever. Do you have a certain genre that you read?
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love John Grisham- anything new he comes out with I read! I also like Amish fiction ( I guess that's a genre) and historical fiction. I do like an occasional best selling novel now and again. Also I try to read at least one non fiction book per month that will help me as a parent, or wife, or in my job, as a leader etc.

      Delete
  2. I love reading as well and have set my goal to the same as the last few years to read 100 books. Last year I passed the 100 goal and then challenged myself to get to 150 and I was just 3 books short by the end of the year. We love reserving at the library too!!! It is the best to get a big pile of books and enjoy them and return them. My mom picked out a book for my son and he said that he didn't want to get that book because we only get books that we read once from the library. She was trying to do something nice but I love that my teachings are actually going into his head. I can't wait to read about all your books this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great kiddo you've got there! Can you imagine if you bought all those 147 books from the store? Talk about expensive!! I feel like libraries are very under utilized so much great stuff there- ours also has music, dvd's, all kinds of stuff to check out.

    ReplyDelete