Monday, January 28, 2013

One Small Thing- Crock Pots

In the south we say Crock Pots. Others call it slow cookers. Either way, they are amazing. If you don't have one you should really look into getting one. If you do have one, but don't use it, you need to really look into using it more. If you do use one a lot, awesome for you, you probably have some great recipes to share.

A great source for Crock pot recipes includes Allrecipes.com. You can click the picture below for one of my favorite recipes for refried beans!
 
Gooseberry Patch ( which I love their cookbooks) has a Slow Cooker cookbook also for relatively cheap and again, I just love it.
 
 
5 Brand New Titles from Gooseberry Patch...Shop Now!
 
I found that when I do my menu plan, that I include at least one or two crock pot meals a week in the fall and winter. It just makes sense to me and my family and our needs. You dump everything in the morning, turn in on and when you get home from work you have a delicious meal waiting for you. This is especialy important for us in the winter when it gets dark earlier, which we tend to eat dinner earlier.
 
If you are trying to simply cooking, trying to try new recipes or just wanting more homecooked meals, please dust off that crockpot ( or find a good used one at a thrift store) and start making good use of it.
 
What are your favorite things to cook in the crockpot?
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! Yes, crock-pot cooking does simplify cooking, tremendously! I like to put frozen chicken breasts in the crock-pot, that I'll turn into a casserole when done. When you get home, the chicken is done and ready to go into the casserole, then into the oven. Not as easy as everything being cooked and ready in the crock-pot; just another way to utilize it. Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two rather picky eaters. So far, the only successful crock pot recipes I have found are pulled pork, carnitas, rice pudding, and applesauce. I am trying to expand on this,and have purchased "Company's Coming" slow cooker cookbook, but I have found that any kind of "stew" just misses the mark for my boys. I am going to try it with soup and pasta dishes next. Wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete