Sunday, May 26, 2013

Homecoming at our church this weekend

Ah Homecoming! I'm not sure if this is a Southern thing, or what, but around here we have "Homecoming" at our churches. It is really just a way for people to come back and visit a church they may have attended as a child, then they moved away, got married, or just went to a different church. Today is our church's homecoming celebration and get this - we are celebrating 142 YEARS!. Our little church has some great history and wow if it could talk. It's more of a family reunion and it's always such fun. I'm excited as my children are getting old enough to start really appreciating how important this day is. There have been some hard times, they went through the Great Depression, several wars, and even now we are seeing shifts in what some churchs beleive in do. But our church is still standing and just as on fire for the Lord as I can remember. I love to hear the older generation talk about revivials that were held under an old Oak tree, with benches made from logs, that would bring in hundreds of people to our tiny community and have revivals that would last for 14-20 days, each night bringing a 4-5 HOUR service. How remarkable. We still sing songs of Zion that have been passed down through the years, Rock of Ages, Amazing Grace, I'll Fly Away are some of my favorites. Then we have "dinner on the grounds". Everyone brings in their favorite dishes to share and we eat and fellowship on long tables underneath the same oak tree that is so notable for those revivals of yesterday. I love it. I'm exciting just typing this. I have some food that was prepared last night, and some that I am just beginning to smell it's wonderful aroma wafting from the oven. I know the service will be a blessing and I just wanted to share this tradition with my readers ( few as there may be). Happy Homesteading Ya'll!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great tradition. Reminds me of when I was in college and went home with my roommate one weekend - the town was celebrating "Old Home Day," and while participating in the events of the day, people kept coming up and introducing themselves to me, all knowing who I was already. Small town!! :) [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a church (Baptist) where we also did homecoming every year. Fond memories. (talu)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a southern and Baptist thing. I read a book now I can't remember what it was. But the people road buggies to a revival where they packed food for the entire day. People would get saved and baptized right there in the river. Pretty cool. TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly Southern and certainly Baptist. We did used to have an "old-fashioned" day and we would do that as well. Except most people would walk, or just dress up in old fashioned clothing and hats. It was fun.

      Delete
  4. Those old songs are still the best! I found this really interesting as we don't have Homecomings at our church or any that I'm away of here in the Midwest. Hope you enjoyed! TALU ;)

    ReplyDelete