Monday, October 24, 2011

Something Fishy around here....






Those of you that have been reading my blog very long know that we eat wild game, and steer away from other types of meat. This limits us to 2 primary sources of meat 1) deer (venison) and 2) fish. We also are lucky sometimes to get shrimp, wild rabbit, duck, squirrel, even bear!
We eat a lot of fish though. Our favorite is crappie. I have said crappie before to some folks in the north and they look at me like I'm crazy, so I think it must be more of a Southern thing. Crappie fishing is great around our parts and easy and fun to catch. They are delicious to eat also.

Our daughters have been going fishing with us ever since they were tiny, but for whatever reason my oldest one is just now taking an interest in cleaning or scaling fish.



She was so excited to help her dad scale our recent catch. She worked so hard and wanted to make sure that the fish SHE scaled was the fish SHE ate that night for supper....

It's such a blessing to pass on skills like this to our children. I dare say that there are not many 5 year old girls that can bait a hook, catch a fish, then scale it BY HERSELF. Very proud of her.

You know the saying: If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

6 comments:

  1. Very cool! I'm impressed! Way to go Girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a jewel, such a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for her! I bet they do taste better when you do everything yourself. Visiting from TALU

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 42 and can do none of the above, so huge big kudos to her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this fish either, but I'm in my 40s and still couldn't (more like wouldn't truth be told) do that myself now, so kudos to little miss for jumping right in there and getting it done! Now if she could just gut and cook it ... ;)

    ReplyDelete